Header Text

Welcome to the Official Site of The Y in Central Maryland Turkey Trot Charity 5K! We are excited to have you join us for this Thanksgiving morning tradition.

Adults, children and families from across the region come together to not only run (or walk, jog, stroll), but to raise funds so that children living in poverty in Central Maryland have access to Y programs that will forever shape their lives.

Thank you for being part of something good on Thanksgiving Morning!

Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween Healthy Treats

There has been a buzz in my house for last few days about Halloween costumes. While my children are deciding who they want to be for Halloween, I am figuring out how we are going to handle all the candy,
and sugar highs. While the dietitian in me wants to hand out watermelon, (nature's candy, if only it were in season), almonds, or coins; however, I realize how quickly we would become “that” family! And as we have discussed previously, anything can be incorporated into a healthy meal plan, as long as it is done so sporadically. It goes without saying this sweet holiday is not my favorite, but we still enjoy the day of dressing up and snacking on some candy.



I have some ideas on how we can make this candy driven holiday pleasant for everyone involved.  Chew on this:
  1.  Instead of Candy- you can choose to be “that” family and hand out non-candy items. I will say that my kids do get super excited about erasers, tattoos, and even pencils. So this year I am going to conduct my own study. I am going to have tattoos, erasers and other small toy-like items in my bucket with the candy. I will determine when faced with a choice how often kids choose the toy over candy. (I’ll keep you posted on my results!) I guess we won’t find out until next year, if we became “that” family. Another option to non-candy would be food with at least a little nutritional value. Dark chocolate has less sugar, pretzels, popcorn, Fig Newtons, while they still have sugar they also have other nutritional value.
  2. Allow your children to choose a set amount of candy (3-5) mini pieces to devour that night. Then have them pick another set amount, ask them to choose and see if they pick a reasonable number. Once agreed upon, have that be their stash. Allow them to eat 1 piece from per day until it is gone, but keep it out of sight. You’d be surprised how after the first week the novelty wears off and they forget about it.
  3. DONATE - The rest of the stash needs to be dealt with. Our local elementary school collects the candy for under-privileged children. Some dentists collect candy and in return offer from some other type of treat as a trade-off. There is also an organization that gives candy to our troops stationed overseas (www.operationgratitude.com). Get creative, but be sure to get that pillowcase full of candy out of sight and out of mind! This will benefit both you and your children.
Between now and November Annie Deremeik, our Fit N Fun Nutritionist, will be guest posting for us! Annie is a Registered Dietitian and Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment